Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Most Feared Question In Business

What follows is a conversation - one that happens all too often in business. The status quo, how managers have been trained, what got them to where they are, and business realities all play a part in this conversation. Listen to our fictitious, but all too real manager as he or she has this ongoing talk with themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What Do You Think?"The boss said I should try that question with my people. Uh oh, if I ask that question I might get an answer that I don't like, or that I have to act on, or that provides information I need to communicate, or that makes me communicate a response. I really don't want that - Why won't people just do what they're told, and let it go at that.

No one ever asked me "What do you think?" I'm supposed to do this because the Boss said we're one big family and need to respect opinions and access everyone's experience to help pull us out of this hole we are in?

You know, I've worked for companies for over 20 years, and I've always done what I was told, I've been a good soldier, a hard worker, and I 've always got the job done. That's what I'm comfortable with. That's what got me promoted. And now I'm asked to throw all that out the window and start a touchy feely approach to getting things done.This idea that some snot nosed college grad I juast hired can come in here and tell me something is pure BS. They gotta pay their dues - just like I have.

Besides, if I start to ask "What do you think?" I 'm going to lose control of my people. I've always prided myself on having the technical knowledge and problem solving skills to keep ahead of problems. All they gotta do is what I tell them to do. What's so tough about that? Besides, if I change how I behave, they won't know what to do - all I'll do is confuse them.

Of course, since we downsized and I lost 20 percent of my people, it's gotten a lot harder to stay on top of things. I've had to work harder, and smarter and longer. Then I look at the lazy bums in my workforce - still leaving at quitting time - like always. Yeah, they got done what I told them to do, but you'd think they would stick around. We're in trouble, and we need every one to pull a bigger load - why don't they ask for more work? I shouldn't have to ask "What do you think?"- they should be coming to me! I'll impose a manadatory 10 hour day to get their attention, that's way more effective than a "What do you think?"

It's been a week since I announced the 10 hour day. Well, that went over badly. Wow! It really got me some problems around here! The Boss wants to see me. Something about leveraging my assets? Apparently somebody in my group complained. What the hell? How am I going to impress on these people the severity of our problems if I can't even demand more of their time? Wait till I find out who did it - I'll squash them like a bug!

Well the Boss made it short and sweet. He didn't want any more problems coming from my group. Told me to use a better approach to leverage my assets. There's that word leverage again - all it means is I have to work harder. He told me to ask "What do you think?"I told him I would do what I could do, but with us falling behind, and the two people that just quit and I can't replace, I didn't have time for a lot of talk.. He said he didn't want to hear about my troubles - just get it done.

I took action right away. I pride myself on going right at things - take action and worry about it later. Well, nothing changed - I didn't think it would. I tried - I had a meeting with all my people. I stood up in front of them, crossed my arms, told them what I expected from them, then asked them "What do you think?" I've never asked that before, and sure enough, nobody had any thoughts. That should put that to rest.

It's been a month since the last meeting with my people. I've been working like crazy - hardly ever get to see my wife and kids. But if that's what it takes, so be it. My boss got let go last week and a new Business Unit Manager has been assigned - a young guy. He says things have to change, and we all need to be on the same team, and we need to keep our eye on the ball. Hell. I don't even know what game we're supposed to be playing. I'll just keep banging away - and things will get better.

Two weeks since my boss got canned, and today I got notice that my workgroup is being reassigned and there is no place for me - I think that's called being fired. I really didn't see this coming. I thought keeping my shoulder to the wheel, my eye on the ball, and my feet firmly planted on the ground and then working in that position would keep me employed. It's all politics. I wonder if I have an age discrimination complaint? My wife isn't going to like this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A cautionary tale - but all too typical. Managers who can't ask the most feared question in business can't be successful in businesses that require commitment and that value the "collective genius" of their people. And the companies that don't value individual contribution and commitment - the compliance companies - the "My way or the highway" companies - just keep disappearing - either through behavior change or through ownership change or bankruptcy.

Practice your "What do you think?" question, and how you deal with responses. Start today.

Written by Andy Cox, President
Cox Consulting Group LLC, 4049 E Vista Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85032 Ph: 602-795-4100; Fax: 602-795-4800; E Mail:acox@coxconsultgroup.com; Website: www.coxconsultgroup.com
Copyright 2007 All Rights Reserved

No comments: