Friday, June 02, 2006

Perfectionist - or Procrastinator - or Both?

The following is from a journal - you be the judge: Perfectionist, Procrastinator, or both?

Beginning of Journal Entry
Dear Journal: You know, I really want to make sure that this blog is as good as I can make it. Oh, I know about typos and grammar and all that stuff, and I have that covered. I mean that thing - you know - the one you were taught years ago - "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right"? Well, I've always tried to do that, and even if it cost me, I always made sure every i was dotted and every t crossed - even if it meant I was late getting things done.

When I publish this blog, I want to know that it captures my thoughts as perfectly as possible - that is what I always try to do. I simply can't let go of something until I'm convinced that it is as good as it can be. The only problem is that I always find something that could be improved - something that doesn't read just the way I would like - and that makes it so hard to finish things. I have so many things that are 90% done, but I just can't let them go until I am completely satisfied. Sometimes I just wish I could say " Good enough" and just let things go. But I can't.

I look at other people's work, and it just doesn't measure up - but they seem to get the better jobs, the better assignments, the better opportunities. - it just doesn't seem right. I just feel so sure that other people will judge me as careless, or sloppy, or stupid if I don't do things to the best of my ability. And to do that takes time!! And I never have enough of that. My boss keeps telling me to reach closure on my assignments, but how can I when new information, and new developments constantly pop up, and I feel a real responsibility to make sure they are included. I guess I just have to consider my boss to be lucky to have someone like me - someone who really cares!!

People call me a perfectionist. I used to take a lot of pride in that description - but now I'm not so sure. Some people have - behind my back - called me a procrastinator. Can you imagine that? Here I am, working my ass off to ensure things are the very best, and some lazy bum calls me a procrastinator.

My boss gave me my annual review last week - it was due a month ago, but it took me so long to complete my part of it and to make sure it was perfect, that I was late getting it back to him. He was mad - and he really let me have it. He told me I was his biggest challenge - that my work was always the very highest quality, but my volume of work was the lowest in his department!! And for that reason he was not giving me a bonus - it wouldn't be fair to the others who produced so much more than I did. Those were his exact words! What can I do? I work so hard to get everything right, and now I'm punished!

I've gotta get another job where I can be appreciated. I 've been working on my resume for the last month - I just can't seem to get comfortable with it. I've read three books on resume writing, and developed a chacklist to be sure mine is just right - you never get a second chance to make a first impression!! I'll get it right - tomorrow"
End of Journal Entry

Realize that perfectionism is one of the main habits of thought of procrastination. The need to be right, to be perfect, to be better than anyone else, can really cripple being effective. As Harry Beckwith says in his book, Selling The Invisible, "Don't let perfect get in the way of good!"

Take a few minutes to step back and see if you get caught in this trap. If you do, begin today to break the habit. Every time you are tempted to take one more swipe at a project - to tweak it and make it even better, remember - "Don't let perfect get in the way of good!"

No comments: